Back in ancient times, early settlers inhabited the rich plains at the foot of the Tramuntana mountains, crossed by fast-flowing torrents that come down the mountain slopes and ravines. En Carròs, Míner, Maçana and Caselles torrents and the waters that gush sporadically from Fonts Ufanes spring all flow into Sant Miquel torrent. According to legend, a terrible flood of water from the mountains washed away an early settlement at Pla de Tel, close to Sant Miquel Oratory. In the 15th century, people settled on Puig de Campanet peak, and the hamlet of Ullaró and village of Búger were formed. Rural estates were built on high ground and big dry stone walls were built on the banks of torrents to protect the soil from nature’s whims. The town of Campanet is reminiscent of other towns of medieval origin.
Oratorio de Sant Miquel (M. A. Escanelles)
Standing in the main square is the parish church (1), with the vicarage behind it. Next to the church are two buildings with Renaissance windows, Posada de Maçana and Can Ganxo (2). The old part of town is made up of the main square and its surrounding streets. Carrer Major is a street that stands out for the medieval architecture of three of its buildings: Can Colom, formerly known as Posada de Gabellí Gran, and Sala Vella (3), in addition to writer Llorenç Riber’s house. Carrer del Cantó des Càrritx contains a mix of popular and more stately architecture, while Carrer de Sant Miquel features three former inns: La Posada de Fangar, Biniatró and Son Corró (4). In Carrer de la Creu, one building of particular note is Ca Sa Costitxera (5), built in 1668.
In Camí de Moscari (the Moscari road), a well called Pou d’en Gatell (6) can be found. To the south, in Carrer des Molins, there is a former roof tile factory, Can Dolç, and a mill known as Molí d’en Porret (7). Camí d’Ullaró (the Ullaró road) links the fascinating hamlet of Ullaró with Son Ponç and Son Garreta estates and with a 17th century oratory (8). To the north of the hamlet is Pou d’Ullaró well (9).
Casal de Can Ganxo (Vicenç Sastre)
Fonts Ufanes natural monument
To the north of Campanet are Son Estrant spring and its hillside terraces. Sant Miquel Oratory can be reached by travelling down an old track called Camí del Sant Crist (1), past Son Estrant spring and Son Roig estate. Along this route, at the foot of the mountain, the old rural estates of Santiani, Monnàber and Gabellí can be seen. As with other estates like Son Garreta or Fangar, their owners wielded considerable power and influence. Following the torrent, you come to Sant Miquel Church (2), built on the site of former churches, as was the custom when new settlers arrived. The parish dates back to 1248. Close to Pont Gros bridge is an old waterwheel and the entrance to Gabellí Petit public estate: the site of Fonts Ufanes (3), a spring now declared a natural monument. The track passes close to the estate house and reaches a depression known as Comellar de Teló, where copious amounts of water come gushing up sporadically from Fonts Ufanes. Close by is a prehistoric talayot, Claper des Doblers, and charcoal makers’ constructions.
Claper des Doblers (Vicenç Sastre)